Friday, May 28, 2010

Nothing new...

Things have been fairly uneventful on the BOINC front as AQUA don't have any FP work-units. My average has fallen to a point where I am just keeping my position in the world rankings and occasionally going up a place or two.

On a non-BOINC related front, I bought a 1TB Seagate "Expansion" drive which is a USB2 device that has its own power-supply. I plugged it into my home PC to move some backup files around and to my horror, the brand new drive started emitting some troubling "click ... click" sounds followed by "Device Not Found". I was on the point of taking it back to the vendor when I had a quick look in Seagate's forums to see if the issue is wide-spread. Turns out that it is a problem especially with the 1.5TB drives.

A user on the forum stated that he had overcome the problem by using a higher grade USB cable with a ferrite core on it ... I thought that was worth a try and used a cable off a Garmin GPS. What do you know? That solved the problem for me! I won't trust anything too important to that drive but at the moment it is doing service on a digital video recorder and seems to be working OK

No comments:

Post a Comment