Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Let the fun begin...

My new JW-A785GM-Fusion motherboard and XFX HD4550 graphics card arrived today. There seem to be a few options to play around with, the first is the motherboards ability to support "Hybrid Crossfire" between the built-in GPU and the card in the PCI-E slot. I assume that in BOINC terms this means both cards will land up working on a single work unit? While kinder in terms of memory usage, I think it will slow everything down to the lowest common denominator? Time will tell!
The other slightly alarming feature is the "128MB DDR3 Sideport" memory. While I understand that this makes the graphics card quicker as the system memory is not addressed every time, I just wonder if BOINC will see more than 128MB on the card?
I am planning to install Ubuntu's new 10.04LTS tonight along with the 10.4 ATI Catalyst drivers. I'm not convinced I will get it all up and working with Collatz work in one evening but as usual I live in my own little world of misguided optimism...

No comments:

Post a Comment