Monday, November 29, 2010

Tiles@Home

For a moment I thought I had found a perfect example of convergence! Anyone following my mobile phone blog will know that I have been using a Nokia phone to create GPX files to update and add to the maps on OpenStreetMaps. I was wondering through their Wiki and spotted "Tiles@Home" and with a name like that jumped to the conclusion that it was a BOINC project.
Sadly it isn't ... however I have installed the client on the IBM x-series server (Ubuntu i386). It is running on the one core and seems to be generating some useful map tiles for them. See stats: http://server.tah.openstreetmap.org/User/show/byid/1834/
The down side is that this will mean one or more processors less contributing to my BOINC total, but I do feel that it is a worthwhile cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment