Tuesday, October 12, 2010

BOINC with ATI on x64 Ubuntu

I mentioned in a previous post that I could not get the version of BOINC available on Synaptic to recognize the ATI GPU on my 64-bit 10.04 Ubuntu machine. If I downloaded and installed the same version of BOINC from the BOINC website, it worked fine but had to be manually started. I upgraded to 10.10 and after doing some reading on the forums, the following sorted it out:

In /etc/default/boinc-client set the user to "root"
# The BOINC core client will be started with the permissions of this user.
BOINC_USER="root"

All sorted out now ... apart from the same problem I have with the CUDA cards that it occasionally still doesn't see the GPU at start-up. This can be corrected by adding a "sleep" line to the start-up script.

Edit: I have just noticed that the ATI card in question now only reports a peak of 50GFLOPS instead of 100GFLOPS as it did under the last installation ... weird!

No comments:

Post a Comment